duminică, 18 martie 2012

[Earthwise] Digest Number 2810

Messages In This Digest (2 Messages)

1.
CD REVIEW - That Night in the Garden From: gleason.mike@comcast.net
2.
CD REVIEW - Verdant From: gleason.mike@comcast.net

Messages

1.

CD REVIEW - That Night in the Garden

Posted by: "gleason.mike@comcast.net" gleason.mike@comcast.net

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:23 am (PDT)



That Night in the Garden by Emerald Rose © 2009 18 Tracks Total Running Time: 74:58
$12.96 (U.S.) $8.99 Music Download from Amazon.com

Four Jacks 4:14 Take Me Down 4:24
Penny on the Well 3:13 Tree Huggin Man 2:44
Autumn in Asheville 3:34 Maggie Lauder 4:38
Caledonia 4:35 Merry Mayfolk 5:05
Red Haired Mary 4:22 Blue Mountain Rue 4:38
Wild Mountain Thyme 3:30 Castle of Arianhrod 5:55
Johnny Cope 3:08 Drowsy Maggie 3:55
Twilight Falls 5:18 Gallant Murray 2:54
Come to the Dance 4:53 Donald McGilliray 4:09

Another change-up from this wonderful group, this CD consists of live recordings (Starbridge Sanctuary and the Crimson Moon Coffeehouse). I had already heard the majority of these songs in their studio form, but there is something special about live recordings – perhaps it's the response from the audience, or maybe it's simply the extra energy available to the performers.

These gentlemen have shown their ability to grow and sustain themselves over the years. I regret that it took me so long to rediscover them (as mentioned previously, I heard "Penny in the Well" on the Best of Pagan Song CD back in 2004), but I am glad I did. I have enjoyed every CD of theirs I have listened to. They cover such a range of genres (Celtic, Pagan, Folk, Comedy) I am never sure what I will find when I pop a newly-received CD in my player. One thing I am sure of, however, is that I will like what I hear. I have yet to be disappointed by anything they have done.

While I like having the lyrics available in the liner, this time around all we get is photos of the members of the group. And, since these are obviously standard songs for their performances the lyrics aren't really necessary.

I suppose there might a saturation point for various styles of music, but I haven't found it yet as far as these talented guys go. Even their "standards" have a way of appearing fresh every time I hear them.

2.

CD REVIEW - Verdant

Posted by: "gleason.mike@comcast.net" gleason.mike@comcast.net

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:26 am (PDT)





Verdant by Emerald Rose © 2011 13 Tracks Total Running Time: 50:45 $14.00 (U.S.)

$8.99 Music Download from Amazon.com

Her Majesty's Airship Corps 5:07 The Salamanca/The Sailor's 2:47

She Moves Through the Fair 3:33 Bonnet

In the Mixdown 4:36 Shepherdess of Dreams 3:43

Omega 3:41 The Empty Isle (Blasket Song) 3:58

Clockwork Love 4:30 The Wind that Shakes the Barley 3:03

Sunny Day 2:57 The Peat that Smokes the Barley 3:36

Castaway 4:46 Freya, Shakti 3:52

As the words and tune of "Her Majesty's Airship Corps" came through my headphones I did something I seldom do...I started tapping my feet. This fun little ditty is a great way to raise your spirits. I defy you to listen to it and maintain anything but a positive, upbeat attitude. Not all of the songs are so catchy and inspiring, but they all stir your emotions.

These are almost all new songs to me (the final song "Freya, Shakti" was the only one I had heard by this group before), and that made all the better for me. I always enjoy finding new things.

Each song in this album inspired different feelings in me, and I couldn't predict which way it would go simply from the titles. These guys know how to mix it up.

The interplay of vocals and instrumental songs helps you to become aware that, with the mastery of the instruments which they display, words are in many cases superfluous. They are capable of telling their story without words. Which is not to say that the vocals are of little value, merely that the human voices and the instruments both have their stories to tell.

" Freya, Shakti" continues to raise gooseflesh every time I hear it. There aren't a lot of songs which elicit that response from me. I have long admired some of the early songs I heard (like the Moody Blues "For My Lady") which did that, and I am glad to add this song to that short list.

Between the two extremes represented by "Her Majesty's Airship Corps" and "Freya, Shakti" Emerald Rose displays their virtuosity consistently. I look forward to following their further releases, as they will continue to surprise and delight their listeners.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups

Small Business Group

Improve your business

by community exchange

Yahoo! Groups

Parenting Zone

Family and home

Tips for mom

New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
___________________________________________________________________________

�`  Earthwise   �`
   <:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::]]======0
  The Worldwide Spirit of Paganism  
      in Australia,  America & Worldwide!
  Take a Look at Our Huge EBay Store
  For all your Magickal & Ritual Supplies
  http://stores.ebay.com.au/Astarte-Earthwise
___________________________________________________________________________

This Earthwise Book of Shadows group holds the expectation
that a tolerant, mature and respectful dialogue be strived
for in our communications with each other. Members are
encouraged to challenge anyone not adhering to these
principles and to notify the list owner Astarte if you are
offended by a posting, write to me at
earthwise@bigpond.com
Thank you.
___________________________________________________________________________

Earthwise is a world wide group.
We are based in Bolwarra, NSW. Australia.
Located in the beautiful Hunter Valley where we hold sacred rituals, workshops, social events and outings, for more information see our calendar of events at Witches Meetup
http://www.meetup.com/earthwise/
___________________________________________________________________________

Astarte also works full time as a Psychic Counsellor, Medium,
Clairvoyant, Healer and Teacher.
If she can be of assistance to you, please see her home page at
www.earthwise.net.au
___________________________________________________________________________

ARE YOU CREATIVE?
Astarte is always sourcing new suppliers of quality pagan
related items, to purchase wholesale or even put on consignment,
she willing to purchase worldwide items for the Earthwise Store.
If you have something of interest please contact Astarte
earthwise@bigpond.com
___________________________________________________________________________

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu