marți, 19 octombrie 2010

[Earthwise] Digest Number 2441

Messages In This Digest (11 Messages)

1.
A Samhain Spell To Let Go From: Silver Fox
2.
A Solitary Samhain From: Silver Fox
3.
An Autumn Chant From: Silver Fox
4.
Samhain - Allison Gross From: Silver Fox
5.
Positive and protective  Energy From: melissa
6a.
Hello everyone From: Benjamin Graham
6b.
Re: Hello everyone From: Monica Duncan
7.
Fall Health Exercises From: Gene
8.
Postal Stamp for VP Charles Curtis, Please forward From: lady_talala
9.
Former Christian Fundamentalist Frank Schaeffer on Voices of the Sac From: Karen Tate
10.
Patakis From: Kenaz Filan

Messages

1.

A Samhain Spell To Let Go

Posted by: "Silver Fox" silverfox_57@hotmail.com   trickster9993

Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:01 am (PDT)




A Samhain Spell To Let Go
Source Unknown

October is a good time to tidy up the soul. First, make a list/petition of things that have got to go, such as resentment of friends or enemies, anger at yourself (potent and common garbage). Just think through your life to see what you no longer need. Go through your soul as if it were a long forgotten attic and see where cleaning up is way overdue, then write down what you find. I am not talking about resentments like those you feel if you're just divorced; if you got ripped off, if you had to leave a job due to harassment. These oppressions are not your own doing, so please don't blame yourself for them. Find groups with which to work them through and channel your anger into your Craft or the earth, which can give your life more meaning.

Create an altar with black cloth, the color of the universe, the color of chaos, where everything comes from and to which everything must return. Place on the cloth some fallen leaves, representing the natural order of the seasons and the discarded past. The fallen leaves are beautiful, but they are meant to become compost. Place your list of psychic garbage on the table, light two black candles, one on either side, and some dispelling incense. If you can't find incense specifically made for this purpose, use sandalwood, frankincense, myrrh, or cedar.

When you pray to the Goddess, always talk normally and say:

"Dearest Goddess, I have come a long way this year, carrying my burdens. I would like to take them off my shoulders and give them back to you to recycle, to bury, to compost. Here, I offer you my resentments against friends, family, and [fill in your own needs here] and ask you to absorb them into your black universe. Relieve me of them and allow me to walk more lightly."

Burn your list in the flame of your candles. Now imagine all these feelings evaporating into smoke, and say something like:

"I feel all light, happy and cleansed now. Dearest Goddess, you are my true strength and guide. I thank you for being accessible and answering your children's call. I honor you and thank you."

Gather all the things that were part of your meditation and cast them into a living body of water. When you cast them off, don't look back. Even let go your thoughts about the ritual.

Silver Fox

"It is all true, it is not true. The more I tell you, the more I shall lie. What is story but jesting Pilate's cry. I am not paid to tell you the truth."
Jane Yolen; The Storyteller

2.

A Solitary Samhain

Posted by: "Silver Fox" silverfox_57@hotmail.com   trickster9993

Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:02 am (PDT)




A Solitary Samhain
From www.branwenscauldron.com

Many covens and circles celebrate this most sacred of pagan holidays as groups, often opening their circles to non-initiates and others who wish to participate. I find myself preferring a solitary ritual, perhaps with some socializing earlier or later in the evening. For me, much of the meaning of Samhain suggests such a practice, though traditionally it is a communal celebration.

Samhain is pronounced as sow-in (in Ireland), sow-een (in Wales), and sav-en (in Scotland). It marks the end of the harvest, the end of the year, and the death of the god. Self-reflection becomes not simply a custom, but a necessity. One cannot (or at least should not) allow the Wheel of the Year to turn without some kind of examination of what has occurred. How have I spent the last year? Did I grow or remain stagnant? Did I live according to the values I claim to embrace? These are questions which must be addressed in solitude and solemnity.

Just as Samhain ends the old year, it must begin the new, though many witches do not celebrate the New Year until Yule. Reflection should continue during this dark time, but reflection should be accompanied by a growing sense of the changes to be made and the light to be sought. I sometimes make many lists during this time -- lists of what I have accomplished and what I still want to accomplish, things I have neglected and those I have tended, and other similar lists. Samhain symbolizes both the past and the future, illuminated by the cycle of the seasons, forever linked as steps on the journey we must all make.

The Goddess tells us: "And you who seek to know Me, know that your seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without." We must look inside ourselves for self-knowledge and for the spirit that will sustain us in life's trials. Silence is one of the keys to seeking truth, for we cannot hear the answers in the midst of this noisy world in which we walk every day, nor in the noise of holiday celebrations however joyous.

Samhain is also said to be the time when the veil between the living and te dead is thinnest, allowing us some communication with those who have departed. How befitting this is for such a time of endings and beginnings. Reflections on death can be as instructive as the self-examinations just mentioned. When we think of those who have died, it reminds us of time passing by and of things we could have or should have done. These reminders, coupled with our lists of past and future actions, encourages us to take our New Year's resolutions far more seriously. We know our time is limited, and most of us have much to do in our allotted time. Most of us have to make a living somehow, but death reminds us that we had better spend some of that time in pursuit of our other dreams lest they be lost in the struggle merely to survive.

Samhain Ritual

The Samhain rituals I follow change a little from year to year. I don't like to have a set of mandatory words or actions that might prevent me from exploring new possibilities in meaning. However, I do include the traditional Samhain rituals of sharing a feast (even if I am alone) and some form of divination. Since it is best that you write/say your own words in performing rituals, I will only include an outline here.

Prepare your house or room

Use black and orange candles, pumpkins (carved or not) and other traditional "Halloween" items if you wish (most are actually traditional for Samhain).

Prepare a table for the Feast of the Dead. It should be covered with a black table cloth and set with black dishes (black paper plates will do just fine). Place a chair at the head of the table, draped in black cloth, to represent the spirit. The spirit's place is set with a plate with a white votive candle on it. Set places for each of the dead that you hope will join you, and place black votive candles on their plates. Plates for the living (in my solitary ritual, just one) are empty, of course, awaiting the feast food to be served.

Food preparation

My feast is usually very simple: bread, fruit, nuts, and juice or wine. If you've invited living guests, it is common to make the feast potluck. However, since the actual feast will take place in silence, try not to have too many things that would have to be passed or requested.

Light the candles and turn out the lights

Call the quarters (ask the Guardians of the Watchtowers to witness and protect your circle).

Cast a circle (use whatever method you've been taught).

Invite the deities

There are certain Goddesses that I always invite to my rituals. It seems especially important to invite them on Samhain, as I will want to thank them for their help during the past year, and of course, ask that they continue to help me in the coming year. If the departed loved ones were especially close to any deities, I invite them as well.

Feast of the Dead

Light the candles on the plates of the dead and the spirit. The feast should take place in silence so that you can think about your departed friends and relatives. Think of their passing and your hopes for their joyous return. If someone is recently departed, try to put aside your sadness and think of that soul as well and happy in the presence of the Goddess.

Speak in silence an invitation to these loved ones, asking them to join in your feast. Use your own words for this. You know these individuals and can speak to them in a way to which they are likely to respond.

Sit at your table and eat the food you have brought to it. Feel the presence of those who have joined you and rejoice in their presence. Allow them to speak to you of whatever they want to communicate. Take as long as you wish at the table, listening to those you have invited and speaking to them in silence.

When the feast is over, thank your spirit guests for coming, bid them farewell, extinguish the candles on the plates, and leave the table.

Banishings and Resolutions

Now is the time to bring out one of those lists! Before Samhain, write a list of things from the last year that you want to banish: bad habits and addictions, unkind feelings toward others, unkind feelings toward yourself.... anything you do not want to carry over to the New Year. Light a black candle and burn the list, asking the Goddess and God to help you get rid of these and all negative things in your life. If you prefer, you can put about 1/4 cup of alcohol in a cauldron, light it, and burn the paper there. Speak to the deities (you can speak aloud now) about your sincere wish to remove these things from your life. Use a banishing chant, if you wish.

Now you should speak to the deities about those things you want to bring into your life in the New Year. I do these things rather informally, but there are many poems and prose pieces in books that you might want to use. Asking the deities for future rewards must be accompanied by resolutions as to how you will accomplish your goals. They will help you if you are sincere in your efforts to help yourself.

Divination

Because the two worlds are so close at Samhain, it is the perfect time for divination. I prefer to use a cauldron of water for scrying, since the cauldron seems to fit the mood of Samhain (not to mention Halloween tradition). You may prefer Tarot cards, a pendulum, or runes....whatever method works best for you. Obviously, the goal of this divination is to see what lies ahead in the next year.

Meditation

All of my rituals include some form of meditation. This is when I ask my personal Goddesses to guide me, advise me, and generally keep me on the right path. I also use this time to thank them in a more personal way than by reciting a poem of thanksgiving. At Samhain, I thank them for all their gifts in the last year and ask them to continue helping me in the New Year.

Sometimes this part of the ritual takes the form of a shamanic journey in which I am taken to a far away place (sometimes familiar, sometimes not) and where I may be given signs that will help me know what I should do (either in general or in specific situations). Take as long with your meditation as you need.

Thank the Deities

Give thanks to the deities you have invited by offering them food. I usually say something like "all things come from the Earth and to the Earth they must return." Whatever food and drink I offer (usually bread and wine), I eat a little and save the rest to place or pour on the Earth later.

Open the circle

Thank and dismiss the Guardians

Blessed Be!

A word about invitations to the dead

For my solitary Samhain Feast of the Dead, I invite not only departed humans but special animals as well. I doubt that this is customary since the feast is usually for one's ancestors. However, when one of my beloved pets has passed away, his or her passing leaves an empty place in my household and in my life, just as the passing of a person would. I choose to believe that the Goddess takes these creatures and cares for them as She would any human. They are far purer in heart than any human could be, and their love is perfect and unconditional. Surely their spirits deserve whatever rewards await the rest of us. So, at Samhain, I invite these loving creatures to join in my feast where I can once again feel their presence and their uncomplicated devotion to those they love. In their honor, I also invite either Bast, the Egyptian Cat Goddess, or Diana, Goddess of the hunt and mistress of dogs, both wild and tame.

Silver Fox

"It is all true, it is not true. The more I tell you, the more I shall lie. What is story but jesting Pilate's cry. I am not paid to tell you the truth."
Jane Yolen; The Storyteller

3.

An Autumn Chant

Posted by: "Silver Fox" silverfox_57@hotmail.com   trickster9993

Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:02 am (PDT)




An Autumn Chant
By Karen Bergquist; Celtic Whispers E-zine

I will dance
The dance of dying days
And sleeping life.

I will dance
In cold, dead leaves
A bending, whirling human flame.

I will dance
As the Horned God rides
Across the skies.

I will dance
To the music of His hounds
Running, baying in chorus.

I will dance
With the ghosts of those
Gone before.

I will dance
Between the sleep of life
And the dream of death.

I will dance
On Samhain's dusky eye,
I will dance.

Silver Fox

"It is all true, it is not true. The more I tell you, the more I shall lie. What is story but jesting Pilate's cry. I am not paid to tell you the truth."
Jane Yolen; The Storyteller

4.

Samhain - Allison Gross

Posted by: "Silver Fox" silverfox_57@hotmail.com   trickster9993

Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:04 am (PDT)




Allison Gross

This is an old folk ballad that tells the story of how the fairy queen saved a man from a witch's spell on Halloween.

O Allison Gross, that lives in yon tower
the ugliest witch in the North Country...
She's turned me into an ugly worm
and gard me toddle around a tree...
But as it fell out last Hallow even
When the seely [fairy] court was riding by,
the Queen lighted down on a gowany bank
Not far from the tree where I wont to lie...
She's change me again to my own proper shape
And I no more toddle about the tree.

Silver Fox

"It is all true, it is not true. The more I tell you, the more I shall lie. What is story but jesting Pilate's cry. I am not paid to tell you the truth."
Jane Yolen; The Storyteller

5.

Positive and protective  Energy

Posted by: "melissa" earthspirit927@gmail.com   earthspirit927

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:41 pm (PDT)



I do not post very often. But when I do it is because it is needed. I have a friend who is a medium and tends to have clairvoyant dreams. She had a dream last night which we are having a hard time pinning down. A very bad premonition of something going wrong at a hotel in Britain. All she could see were people hurt and in their bath robe running around. She could not see the name of the hotel or anything specific. She knew it was Britain cause someone talked to her and they had an accent. I figured if we all send protective an positive energy in that direct. I am hoping to prevent said incident. If anyone knows of a better way please let me know. Thank you so much for your time.

Blessed be
Earthspirit

6a.

Hello everyone

Posted by: "Benjamin Graham" saintben2000@yahoo.com   saintben2000

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:41 pm (PDT)



My name is Benjamin. I love earth spirituality. I am on a journey of self discovery and self expression. May the fairies help us all on our way.

6b.

Re: Hello everyone

Posted by: "Monica Duncan" mhimmelsbach25@yahoo.com   mhimmelsbach25

Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:07 pm (PDT)



Merry Meet Benjamin,
  I'm Monica, I'm into eclectic natrual wicca, my fiance' is saxon-gardenian. I tried sending an intro once before but had issues, so I'm trying again. We both live in mid-eastern Missouri, near St Louis. He's been practicing for longer then I have, I've only started truely practicing in the past year. We're trying to get our first gathering of local wicca's at our new place for the samhain this year, it'll be our first open ritual, so we're both nervous & hoping it all goes well. We're also looking for any advice on do's/don'ts that we could use. Thanks, Blesssed be, Monica

--- On Mon, 10/18/10, Benjamin Graham <saintben2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Benjamin Graham <saintben2000@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Earthwise] Hello everyone
To: EarthwiseBOS@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, October 18, 2010, 11:29 AM

 

My name is Benjamin. I love earth spirituality. I am on a journey of self discovery and self expression. May the fairies help us all on our way.

7.

Fall Health Exercises

Posted by: "Gene" acutouch@hotmail.com   gene_dreyer

Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:07 pm (PDT)



I just posted a page on my website for strengthening and balancing oneself for the Fall's effect on the weather and oneself. Qigong and other energy technologies are demonstrated for this. I thought some of you might find this interesting:

http://flowingqi.dc1.netfirms.com/smilingchi.com/Seasonal%20Health%20Exercises/SHE-2-Fall%20Health%20Exercises.html

Gene

8.

Postal Stamp for VP Charles Curtis, Please forward

Posted by: "lady_talala" lady_talala@yahoo.com   lady_talala

Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:08 pm (PDT)



Postal Stamp for VP Charles Curtis, Please forward

I thought this an important petition, to give credit
where credit is long overdue.

Please read, sign the petition and forward.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/stamp-for-VP-Charles-Curtis/

9.

Former Christian Fundamentalist Frank Schaeffer on Voices of the Sac

Posted by: "Karen Tate" karentate108@ca.rr.com   specialjourn

Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:14 pm (PDT)



Greetings Listeners of Voices of the Sacred Feminine.....

For the entire hour this week, our guest is...

Frank Schaeffer, author of the New York Times bestseller Keeping Faith
and, most recently, the memoir Crazy for God has appeared on NPR, CNN,
MSNBC and Fox News. We'll be discussing his newest book, Patience with
God, Faith for People Who Don't Like Religion (or Atheism) as well as
fundamentalism, do we have to save Christianity from the Christians, and
the anti-Americanism of the Religious Right.

Frank believe Christianity needs to be saved from Christians.

As always, we invite you to call in with questions. 718-766-4662. And
if you don't want to miss any upcoming shows, please go to my show page
on Blog Talk Radio and hit the "follow" button which will send to your
email box reminders of who is on the show each week. While you're
there, please mark VSF a favorite! That all helps me know you consider
the show and it's guests a valuable tool or asset to your life.

Here's the link --

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/VoicesoftheSacredFeminine

IN THE FOLLOWING WEEKS....
Prof. Jeannine David Kimball, scholar, archaeologist and
author discussing the relatives of the Amazons, Mandakranta Bose on
women in the Hindu tradition, Clarissa Pinkola Estes, author of Women
Who Run With the Wolves, Liz Fisher, author of Rise Up and Call Her Name
curriculum and Jeanette Clancy author of God is Not Three Guys in the Sky.

--
Karen Tate
www.karentate.com

http://www.examiner.com/x-22579-LA-Womens--Goddess-Spirituality-Examiner
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1291934676&ref=profile
http://www.myspace.com/karentate108
fOLLOW ME On TWITTER @karentate108

Voices of the Sacred Feminine Radio....Extended Edition
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/VoicesoftheSacredFeminine

Voices of the Sacred Feminine Radio Program Archives
http://www.karentate.com/Tate/radio_show.html

Author of Sacred Places of Goddess: 108 Destinations&
Walking an Ancient Path: Rebirthing Goddess on Planet Earth

You-Tube....http://www.youtube.com/isisisis13

10.

Patakis

Posted by: "Kenaz Filan" kenazfilan@gmail.com   houngancoquilledumer

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:34 pm (PDT)



A recent review<http://themagicalbuffet.com/blog1/2010/10/17/teachings-of-the-santeria-gods/>of
Ocha'ni
Lele<http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&tag=kenfil-20&link_code=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Ocha%27ni%20Lele>'s
excellent *Teachings of the Santeria
Gods<http://www.amazon.com/Teachings-Santer%C3%ADa-Gods-Spirit-Odu/dp/1594773327?ie=UTF8&tag=kenfil-20&link_code=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969>
* got me thinking about the usage of story, parable and metaphor in dealing
with the Divine. Ocha'ni has done a fantastic job of bringing the patakis
to a wider audience. He's also done a great service to diviners by
providing an inside look at the cowries. I'm wondering if he (and others)
might want to comment on my theories on their linguistical and cultural
value within Lukumi culture. (The usual caveats included: while I have a
nodding acquaintance with Lukumi and decades of experience as a diviner, I'm
not an initiate in any Orisha tradition).

To me, the patakis are stories which hint at the meanings behind each of the
odus. They provide structure to the divinatory system by providing direct
examples of the odu's influence in any given situation. Yet at the same time
they are flexible enough to apply to a variety of situations and possible
outcomes. Querents can play multiple roles within these stories: their part
can be tied to the hero, the villain or the intercessors. Other elements
within the client's life - potential lovers, business partners, allies and
obstacles - can be called into service within this drama.

Problems and solutions will be found within different patakis. The story
which tells the querent's weakness may be met by a story which gives him a
role of power, or at least a potential escape. Proscriptions and warnings
may be given literally or metaphorically, as the situation demands. One may
find relief or may learn that a doom has been foreordained, one which cannot
be avoided but can only be endured. In any case, the querent's life is tied
to eternal patterns and to unending stories: they simultaneously interpret
and become the myth.

Patakis allow for considerable leeway in individual interpretation: a
pataki's details may vary between practitioners and houses. But the stories
*as they are heard* are preserved with great care: one learns them from
elders and protects them from outsiders. Their details are preserved along
with the numerous intricate rituals that determine whether an odu falls for
good or ill and what offerings one should make to propitiate the
corresponding spirit. These constraints may force the diviner and querent
to face hard truths. There is less room to whitewash a bad omen, less space
to avoid discussing the failings which led up to the current situation.
Its rigidity leaves less room for weasel words and equivocation.

(I'm reminded of the similarly-complex horary
astrology<http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&tag=kenfil-20&link_code=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=horary%20astrology>which
played such an important role in Renaissance magic. They had equally
rigid rules and gave very detailed, if frequently harsh, predictions. Today
this sort of reading has fallen out of favor: it's considered best to
accentuate the positive aspects of a reading and downplay that which is
fated to happen. While I can appreciate the value of encouraging querents
to keep a positive attitude, I also wonder if we haven't sacrificed
something in the way of accuracy and honesty).

The cowries show the future for good and for ill. Querents may learn that
they must undergo expensive and arduous initiation ceremonies: they may be
hit with taboos and restrictions, chided on their bad behavior and told that
misfortune and even death lie ahead for them. The patakis offer ways in
which victory and defeat may be met with grace and dignity. The meaning may
or may not provide querents with some way of escaping suffering: it will
certainly provide some sense of meaning to their pain.

--
kenaz filan
kenazfilan @ gmail.com | 917 267 7469
kenazfilan.blogspot.com | www.kenazfilan.com
author:
the haitian vodou handbook
vodou love magic
drawing down the spirits (w/raven kaldera)
vodou money magic
the power of the poppy (forthcoming)
the new orleans voodoo handbook (forthcoming
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
___________________________________________________________________________

�`  Earthwise   �`
   <:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::]]======0
  The Worldwide Spirit of Paganism  
      in Australia,  America & Worldwide!
  Take a Look at Our Huge EBay Store
  For all your Magickal & Ritual Supplies
  http://stores.ebay.com.au/Astarte-Earthwise
___________________________________________________________________________

This Earthwise Book of Shadows group holds the expectation
that a tolerant, mature and respectful dialogue be strived
for in our communications with each other. Members are
encouraged to challenge anyone not adhering to these
principles and to notify the list owner Astarte if you are
offended by a posting, write to me at
earthwise@bigpond.com
Thank you.
___________________________________________________________________________

Earthwise is a world wide group.
We are based in Western Sydney, NSW. Australia.
Located in the valley before the beautiful Blue Mountains were
we hold sacred rituals, workshops, social events and outings,
for more information see our calendar of events at Witches Meetup
http://witches.meetup.com/1293/
___________________________________________________________________________

Astarte also works full time as a Psychic Counsellor, Medium,
Clairvoyant, Healer and Teacher.
If she can be of assistance to you, please see her home page at
www.earthwise.net.au
___________________________________________________________________________

ARE YOU CREATIVE?
Astarte is always sourcing new suppliers of quality pagan
related items, to purchase wholesale or even put on consignment,
she willing to purchase worldwide items for the Earthwise Store.
If you have something of interest please contact Astarte
earthwise@bigpond.com
___________________________________________________________________________

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu