marți, 17 ianuarie 2012

[Earthwise] Digest Number 2776

Messages In This Digest (3 Messages)

1.
MUSIC REVIEW - Oshun Gaia From: gleason.mike@comcast.net
2.
MUSIC REVIEW - Songs of the Waning Year From: gleason.mike@comcast.net
3.
My Reviews From: gleason.mike@comcast.net

Messages

1.

MUSIC REVIEW - Oshun Gaia

Posted by: "gleason.mike@comcast.net" gleason.mike@comcast.net   gleasonm01915

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:08 am (PST)





Oshun Gaia Tales of the Serpent Woman and Faerie Child CD by Amikaeyla Proudfoot Gaston and Arian Lightningstorm © 2006 14 Tracks Total Running Time: 64:46 $15.00 + $5.00 shipping and handling (U.S.)

Jai Ma 04:56 Rain Chant 04:43

Om Shanti 04:29 Yeye Chango 07:07

La Umba 01:46 Jnana Mai 05:25

Pipe Song 02:02 Caribou Skin Hut 01:39

Yaba Legba 06:20 21 Praises of Tara 05:20

Ancient Mother 02:16 Gela-Amaframahijeo 05:06

Govinda Jai Jai 05:53 Serpent Woman 07:44

This album is predominantly a chant album which draws its inspiration from world-wide cultures including some from the Indian sub-continent, Native American, African (and African Diaspora as well). There are also a few original chants as well. There is so much energy exhibited on this album I'm surprised I was able to keep it in the CD player. Honestly, the first track made me want to get out of my chair and dance (and I have no sense of rhythm, so that is saying something pretty special).

Amikaeyla (formerly with KIVA) and Ariana (founder and lead vocalist of KIVA) have brought together a collection of chants and a few friends to expose the rest of us to lessons best taught through music. The lessons insinuate themselves into your subconscious is a simple, inconspicuous manner

I have commented elsewhere that most of the Pagan albums I hear are heavy on the Goddess theme, and this is definitely one of those. However, unlike a lot of others, this album doesn't beat you over the head with feminist themes and lyrics. The liner notes describe this album as being "...where breath, song, chant, drum and dance are one." Ordinarily I don't like quoting "blurbs" and professional advertising but that statement absolutely captures the essence of this work. The majority of the chants and songs may be unintelligible to the casual listener, but you don't need to understand the words to absorb the feelings and underlying meanings.

2.

MUSIC REVIEW - Songs of the Waning Year

Posted by: "gleason.mike@comcast.net" gleason.mike@comcast.net   gleasonm01915

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:23 am (PST)



Songs for the Waning Year by Sharon Knight and T. Thorn Coyle http://www.sharonknight.net/music.html © 2009 Trance Jam Records ASIN: B001MIFTE6 22 Tracks Running Time: 48:42 CD - $16 Download - $12 CD includes immediate download. Lyrics are included in all downloads.

Elemental Castings 03:15 Osiris Lives 02:36
Awake 02:26 Divine Twins 02:05
Queen of Heaven 02:05 Eternity's Children 01:38
For Tara – Hecate Chant 02:23 Cross the River 02:49
Ancestor Chant 01:40 Season's Turn 01:54
Beyond the Gates 02:25 Solstice Prayer 02:12
Come All Who Hunger 01:05 Nine Brazen Bells 02:01
The Fates 01:36 Taliesin's Song 01:54
Morrigan Chant 02:53 Demeter and We 02:15
Prayer for the Dead 02:04 Light of the World 01:56
Ereskigal Keeper of Sorrows 03:08 Estrellas Brilliantes 02:22

This is intended as a teaching/learning CD. The chants are all intentionally kept short and simple so that the listener can learn them easily and incorporate them into personal and group rituals.

Other than being heavy on percussion, the styles of the chants are varied. They come from a variety of traditions – the Morrigan and Ereskigal are hardly pantheon-mates, but for all of that, they have an appeal which surprised me. I am semi-familiar with some of the cultures involved, and I had never really seen the similarities before.

The combined voices of the two singers allows for a wide range of images to flow through your mind as you listen to this disk.

One of my mistakes with this set of chants was listening to it during the midday. It really is more suited to those liminal times (dawn and dusk) which help to open the doors between our world and those of the Ancient Ones. Barring that, perhaps sitting in a darkened room would be an acceptable alternative.

The only other mistake I made was listening to it while I had other things which needed my attention. I corrected that with my second listening, when I cleared my "To Do" list before starting the music.

My music collection of late has shown a definite lack of chants. I have a lot of ballad-style and instrumental I have been listening to. This made for a very pleasant change for me.

I'm not sure that it will appeal to everyone (in fact, I'm sure it won't), but that doesn't mean you shouldn't go to the website and give it a listen.

3.

My Reviews

Posted by: "gleason.mike@comcast.net" gleason.mike@comcast.net   gleasonm01915

Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:52 pm (PST)



I just wanted to give all you nice folks a "heads up" about my reviews this year.

You may have noticed a lot more music reviews than in previous years. I started this year with 23 review items in the box and 13 of them were either CDs in hand or music downloads. I am hoping to maintain pretty much a 50/50 split this year between music and books. Quite frankly, after over a decade of reviewing books I was finding myself starting to burn out a little bit. I got to thinking about "the good old days" when I started down this path, and I realized that music had played a big part in drawing me in, and helping me to experience things I probably wouldn't have encountered any other way.

Because of that realization I decided to both revisit those early days of Pagan music (for which reason I have requested some music from artists many won't have heard before) as well as looking at the current scene. Now I freely admit that I have been away from the Pagan music genre for quite a while so, while I can call to name a few of the current solo and group artists, I am sure to be missing quite a few.

At this point, I have upcoming reviews of albums by Jenna Greene, Kila, Colm O'Snodaigh, Ronan O'Snodaigh, and a collaboration by Eoin Dillon,Steve Larkin, Desmond Cahalan, and Frank Tate, as well as Lady Isadora. If any of you have suggestions for groups/solo artists you would like me to review, please drop me a note (put "REVIEW SUGGESTION" in the subject line, please). I can't make any guarantees (I don't always get positive responses [or any responses] from my requests), but I will do my best to work out a deal with the artist(s) in question and see what i can do. If you are a musician and would like me to review YOUR work, I am open to working with CDs (my personal preference at this point) or with music downloads.

If things go at my usual pace, I have got enough review material to take me through most of the month of March, so I am looking for more items to spread through the rest of the year. Please keep me in mind as you enjoy your own Pagan musical library.

Mike Gleason
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups

Parenting Zone

Tips for a happy,

healthy home

Yahoo! Groups

Cat Owners Group

Join a community

for cat lovers

Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
___________________________________________________________________________

�`  Earthwise   �`
   <:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::]]======0
  The Worldwide Spirit of Paganism  
      in Australia,  America & Worldwide!
  Take a Look at Our Huge EBay Store
  For all your Magickal & Ritual Supplies
  http://stores.ebay.com.au/Astarte-Earthwise
___________________________________________________________________________

This Earthwise Book of Shadows group holds the expectation
that a tolerant, mature and respectful dialogue be strived
for in our communications with each other. Members are
encouraged to challenge anyone not adhering to these
principles and to notify the list owner Astarte if you are
offended by a posting, write to me at
earthwise@bigpond.com
Thank you.
___________________________________________________________________________

Earthwise is a world wide group.
We are based in Bolwarra, NSW. Australia.
Located in the beautiful Hunter Valley where we hold sacred rituals, workshops, social events and outings, for more information see our calendar of events at Witches Meetup
http://www.meetup.com/earthwise/
___________________________________________________________________________

Astarte also works full time as a Psychic Counsellor, Medium,
Clairvoyant, Healer and Teacher.
If she can be of assistance to you, please see her home page at
www.earthwise.net.au
___________________________________________________________________________

ARE YOU CREATIVE?
Astarte is always sourcing new suppliers of quality pagan
related items, to purchase wholesale or even put on consignment,
she willing to purchase worldwide items for the Earthwise Store.
If you have something of interest please contact Astarte
earthwise@bigpond.com
___________________________________________________________________________
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu